On Sunday night, after the babies went to bed, we all smushed on the couch to watch a movie together.
It was awesome. I'm not into movies, much, because after half an hour I get totally bored and my brain starts thinking about all the laundry I need to fold. But BRAVE?
I LOVED THIS MOVIE.
I didn't know what it was about before we watched it, other than the fact that she had curly hair. Yeah. I know. That's pathetic, but whatever. It's about time there's a curly-haired heroine.
Things I absolutely loved about this movie:
1. It's not about falling in love. It's about FAMILY. About the love of family and the relationship between a mother and daughter.
2. The girl isn't perfect. She'd flawed, and screwed up, and she struggles so hard between what she wants, and what's right.
3. It's funny. Even my 7 year old boy was vastly entertained, which is saying something because he's pretty much only entertained by things that pertain to bodily functions.
4. All the characters have personality. Flaws, and interesting traits, and they're all so NORMAL.
5. The setting and animation. Her hair alone is a freaking digital masterpiece. Having been to Scotland myself, Chris and I were really impressed by how much it looked EXACTLY like places we'd been.
The conflict in this movie is internal. Yes, there's some external forces at work, but it's mostly an internal one, which makes the movie more simple than I'd expected. For some reason, before we watched it, I thought it was going to be about war or something equally huge. And when I realized it wasn't, I was disappointed for about a minute.
Only a minute, though. Because BRAVE drew me in, and we all laughed, and thoroughly enjoyed Merida's story. I was happy to have my daughter watch this, because it was all about girl strength. Flawed, broken, strength.
If you haven't seen it, you should.
Cool thing? I've got another copy of the BRAVE Ultimate Collector's Edition 5-Disc Set, which includes Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray 3D, and DVD to give away to a reader.
Super easy. Just enter below. GIVEAWAY ENDS ON SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 10th.
Oh, and make sure your email address is enabled. I have to be able to get in touch with the winner to get your mailing address. If I can't email you within one day, I'll pick a new winner.
(Disclaimer and all that jazz: I was given a copy of the film to review, but all opinions about it are my own.)
a Rafflecopter giveaway